VIA/GeForce2 and 4.3-RELEASE?

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Tue May 22 15:35:08 BST 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 03:22:35PM +0100, Ross Tregaskis wrote:
> I hope you don't mind me asking a X-related question here - I'm very new to
> FreeBSD (although not to Unix-substitutes) and I hope I'm not missing
> something obvious.
>
> My problem is that any version of XFree, on going above 320x200, crashes
> out with a signal 11. The thing is, it all works under Linux and Win2K -
> and they're basically the same config files. My specification:
>
> MSI K7T Pro 2-A motherboard [VIA KT133 (*NOT* 133A) chipset/686B southbridge]
> BIOS version 2.6
> 512MB PC133 SDRAM
> ASUS V7700 GeForce2 GTS video card
> FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE [from CD]
> nv/vesa driver - XFree86 4.0.3 from package on CD [problems have also been
> shown with SVGA server on XFree-3.3.6]
>
> The problem is almost definitely somewhere in my configuration, and
> therefore if there is anyone here that can help me it would be much
> appreciated.

Signal 11's are almost always down to:

1) badly written code

2) dodgy hardware

Normally, type (1) is thrashed out during development, and XFree86 is
pretty solid for most people.  Which leads us to type (2).

Have a look at the output of dmesg.  Most devices should have an "irq"
entry, stating what irq they're on.  Check that none conflict.  You
could try moving boards around inside your PC so that they don't...

I'm not aware of any specific problems with the hardware you have, but I
don't keep up too well with new hardware anyway, so I'd suggest doing a
few net searches for them.  Google/bsd may be helpful here.

	http://www.google.com/bsd

-Dom