VIA/GeForce2 and 4.3-RELEASE?

Ross Tregaskis freebsd-users at spamhunter.co.uk
Tue May 22 15:22:35 BST 2001

I hope you don't mind me asking a X-related question here - I'm very new to
FreeBSD (although not to Unix-substitutes) and I hope I'm not missing
something obvious.

My problem is that any version of XFree, on going above 320x200, crashes
out with a signal 11. The thing is, it all works under Linux and Win2K -
and they're basically the same config files. My specification:

MSI K7T Pro 2-A motherboard [VIA KT133 (*NOT* 133A) chipset/686B southbridge]
BIOS version 2.6
512MB PC133 SDRAM
ASUS V7700 GeForce2 GTS video card
FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE [from CD]
nv/vesa driver - XFree86 4.0.3 from package on CD [problems have also been
shown with SVGA server on XFree-3.3.6]

The problem is almost definitely somewhere in my configuration, and
therefore if there is anyone here that can help me it would be much
appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

-- Ross Tregaskis