PPP Dial-in problems

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Mon May 21 15:55:25 BST 2001

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 03:16:48PM +0100, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 02:39:07PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> > On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 01:33:47PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > Bear in mind that incoming authentication is taken from
> > > /etc/ppp/ppp.secrets - any ``set authkey'' in your config is not used
> > > unless the peer demands authentication.
> > >
> > Tried that first. Now have both enable PAP and enable CHAP removed as
> > well as the bit from /etc/gettytab to see if we can get a simple login
> > prompt up.
> >
> > As we're getting a stream of garbage I'm now suspecting it's a speed issue.
> > There is quite a good example on the web
> > (http://packet.node.to/hacks/ppp-how-to.html) which uses mgetty as
> > opposed to getty and details quite nicely all the config files. I think I'll
> > give that a go and see if it doesn't work better.
>
> You don't have to use mgetty - our getty can do PPP recognition.  Have a
> look at gettytab(5) and search for ppp.  It'll then fire off whatever
> PPP program you want to do the login.  It's quite convenient.

Already tried all of that. It's just that the description using mgetty
appears to be far more complete and seems to cope better with higher speed
modems.

As you can probably tell, clutching at straws isn't far away :-)

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited