Moving from 3.4 to -STABLE?

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Tue May 15 21:30:53 BST 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 08:29:45PM +0100, Ian Pallfreeman wrote:
> > Then again maybe not :-( or at least not straight away. The make installworld
> > exited with a Signal 12 and core dump and it won't re-run now.
>
> 3.X -> 4.X is a bit more complex than usual (as was 2.X -> 3.X). You need to
> be running the 4.X kernel before the ``make installworld'', and you'll most
> likely need to install the 4.X libraries before anything else -- just cd
> into /usr/src/lib, make install, then cd /usr/src && make installworld.
> Single-user, too, for this one, though you can usually get away with it.

Single-user wasn't an option as I needed networking and nfs... couldn't get a
4.X kernel on their, not enough space to build it, hence trying to get stuff
off of another machine.

Basically it looks like the operation was a no-goer from the start :-(

It looks likely that I'll put an absolute minimum Win 98 install on there to
get the details of the PCMCIA hardware and then have a go at getting 4.2 on
their (the latest release CD I have). Once that's up and working I'll have
another go at updating over nfs so I can put some docs together for Nik.

Neil.

--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited