Moving from 3.4 to -STABLE?

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Tue May 15 17:31:46 BST 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 03:39:24PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 09:25:56AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > I think Joe's instructions were pretty precise - except that you need
> > > to use KERNEL instead of KERNCONF in 3.x.
> > >
> > Joe's instructions are indeed on the mark.
> >
> > My question was more directed to how to do an installworld over nfs as I've
> > never played with NFS and haven't a clue where to start.
>
> The long and short of it is to export the filesystems from the server
> - something like this in /etc/exports:
>
> /usr/src /usr/obj -maproot=0 laptop
>
> (you'll need the nfs server stuff enabled in /etc/rc.conf, and don't
> forget to HUP mountd after changing /etc/exports), ensure you've got
> a built world and kernel on the server:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel KERNCONF="SERVER LAPTOP"

Am I right in assuming this would build a kernel for both the server and the
laptop?

> then from your laptop:
>
> mount server:/usr/src /usr/src
> mount server:/usr/obj /usr/obj
> cd /usr/src
> make installworld
> make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

And here MYKERNEL is the same as LAPTOP above?

> mergemaster
>
> > As it happens I'm going to have a go a doing an ftp install of 4.2RELEASE
> > from mounted CD. If I get 4.2 on the machine I may just leave it there.

This is now on the backburner as I seem unable to get 4.2 to see the PCMCIA
controller regardless of what IRQ and memory settings I choose, and under 3.2
I seem unable to find out what card0 is loading with :-(

So it looks like NFS is the way to go. Maybe Nik will get his documentation
after all :-)

Ummm... maybe having a laptop gathering somewhere might be a good idea... time
to see if any cybercafes in Central London might be interested in hosting one
one Sunday afternoon.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited