Moving from 3.4 to -STABLE?

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Tue May 15 15:39:24 BST 2001

> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 09:25:56AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > I think Joe's instructions were pretty precise - except that you need
> > to use KERNEL instead of KERNCONF in 3.x.
> >
> Joe's instructions are indeed on the mark.
>
> My question was more directed to how to do an installworld over nfs as I've
> never played with NFS and haven't a clue where to start.

The long and short of it is to export the filesystems from the server
- something like this in /etc/exports:

/usr/src /usr/obj -maproot=0 laptop

(you'll need the nfs server stuff enabled in /etc/rc.conf, and don't
forget to HUP mountd after changing /etc/exports), ensure you've got
a built world and kernel on the server:

cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF="SERVER LAPTOP"

then from your laptop:

mount server:/usr/src /usr/src
mount server:/usr/obj /usr/obj
cd /usr/src