A couple of PPP related questions

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Mon May 14 12:52:37 BST 2001

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 11:48:55PM +0100, Paul Civati wrote:
> Neil Ford <neil at ourshack.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to get PPP to write it's process ID out to a file?
>
> Don't most daemons log to a file in /var/run?

This isn't running as a deamon though, I'm using userland PPP.

> > Whats the best way to extract the dynamic IP address that's been
> > allocated to a machine by an ISP. I ideally want the machine to
> > mail this detail out everytime it makes the connection.  You can
> > probably guess where I'm going with this one :-)
>
> There are plenty of free dynamic DNS services too.

I don't really need dynamic DNS, I just want to be notified of the dynamic IP
that a customer's dial-up box has been assigned in case I need to ssh to it
in an emergancy to do some support.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited