Gtk-Perl - having problems

Ben Paley rambhai at harpincher.freeserve.co.uk
Sun May 13 23:00:51 BST 2001

On Tue, 08 May 2001, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> >%_On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 09:42:19AM +0100, Ben Paley wrote:
<snip>
> > 	I had a pretty eventful upgrade from bsd 3.3 to 4.3 in one huge jump,
> > so now I'm filling in some of the gaps. I installed Gtk+ and Glib, both version
> > 1.2.10 with no problems, but Gtk-Perl-0.6123 seems to be a lot harder.
<snip>

> Wouldn't it be easier to install this as a port?

<snip>
> You're probably trying to install an old version.
>
> You should cvsup your ports collection first and then install it from
> there.

This doesn't seem to be the problem; even after cvsuping the ports I get
error messages telling me I'm trying to install an old port... now I haven't
been playing with this for about a week, so I can't remember exactly, but the
error message referred me to an FAQ somewhere which seemed to imply that
because I upgraded in one huge leap from 3.3 to 4.3 I'd missed some file system
changes, and that, basically, my system doesn't really know where all its
components are. That would explain some other odd behaviour, like every time I
try ro compile anything I get messages telling me the libraries aren't there,
even though they are... I certainly don't know enough to sort that out by hand,
so, unless it's easier than I think I'm tempted - oh, this is so not the UNIX
way :( - to archive anything important, format my bsd partitions, reinstall from
4.0 media (which I have :) ) and cvsup from there.
	I don't really want to do this, is there a better way? I have a feeling
it's all a bit of a mess.
	Thanks,
	Ben