Kernel build

George Reid greid at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 10 11:04:27 BST 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Anthony du Casse wrote:

> I have optimised a GENERIC config file to optimise hardware device
> configuration  for building FreeBSD OS 5.0 kernels.I recieve the following
> message during the build process.
>
> pes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
> -fformat-extensions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-  -I. -I@ -I@/dev  -I/
> ../include  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -c if_wi.c
>
> I recieve approx 100 of these warnings for various source files.

These are the standard cc output messages, indicating what is being
compiled by make(1). If you don't know what these are, you should
*DEFINITELY* not be using the -CURRENT branch. When your filesystem gets
trashed by changes to the FFS code (as happened not-so-long ago), you're
not going to get much/any sympathy. -CURRENT is the developmental branch
of FreeBSD and as such, should only really be used by people who are
technically proficient and/or developers (although I would hope the former
applies to the latter).

In answer to your question, however, you can just redirect the output to
/dev/null by prepending something like "1>/dev/null 2>&1" to 'make'.

> The kernel build is however successful, installs OK  and is operational.

Give it time...

Also, you didn't mention rebuilding the world in addition to compiling a
-CURRENT kernel. If you're running a -CURRENT kernel on an earlier
release, you really are asking for trouble. There are too many variables.

greid
--
|    George Reid    |  FreeBSD Committer  |