Kernel build

Jonathan Perkin jon.perkin at bbc.co.uk
Thu May 10 10:39:48 BST 2001

On Thu May 10, 2001 at 11:30:13AM +0200, Anthony du Casse wrote:

> I have optimised a GENERIC config file to optimise hardware device
> configuration  for building FreeBSD OS 5.0 kernels.I recieve the following
> message during the build process.
>
> pes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
> -fformat-extensions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-  -I. -I@ -I@/dev  -I/
> ../include  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -c if_wi.c
>
> I recieve approx 100 of these warnings for various source files.

Warnings?  That's standard gcc command line output.

> What exactly does this message refer to, why and how could I solve it.

Thankfully you can't solve it :)  You could redirect the standard output
to /dev/null, but that wouldn't really help - watching the messages as
they go past is usually very informative and helpful.

To be honest, if you're not familiar with compiling or developing in a
UNIX environment, you will be better off with 4.3-RELEASE rather than
the current source tree.  -current is only useful for developers and at
present is pretty broken and dangerous (phk committed a tiny one-line
change last week which meant anyone who booted a kernel with that change
immediately lost their entire root filesystem - can you afford this? :)

> The kernel build is however successful, installs OK  and is operational.

Glad to hear it :)

	Jon