A couple of PPP related questions

Richard Smith rdls at satamatics.com
Wed May 9 17:18:00 BST 2001

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 03:52:58PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> I suspect people may already be doing what I want to do, so I thought I'd
> ask.
>
> Question 1
> Is it possible to get PPP to write it's process ID out to a file? I want to be
> able to have a cron job kill the PPP process at night and restart it in the
> morning. I could do it by grepping PS for the PID but I wondered if there was
> a more elegant solution.

I think you'll find it already does, see /var/run/tunN.pid in man ppp(8).

Also, there is the pppctl(8) control program for ppp(8) which might be worth a look.

> Question 2
> Whats the best way to extract the dynamic IP address that's been allocated to
> a machine by an ISP. I ideally want the machine to mail this detail out
> everytime it makes the connection.  You can probably guess where I'm going
> with this one :-)

You can write it out in the ppp.linkup script

Richard.

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp