Moving from 3.4 to -STABLE?

Josef Karthauser joe at tao.org.uk
Mon May 7 21:45:45 BST 2001

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 09:41:15PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> >=20
> > You _must_ be running on a 4.x kernel _before_ doing the installworld.
> > There are some non-backward compatible ABI changes between userland and
> > the kernel.
> >=20
> > Joe
>=20
> Thanks for that Joe, much appreciated.
>=20
> A couple of quick questions though:
>=20
> I normally provide KERNEL=3D<custom_kernel_name> after the make buildkern=
el, am
> I right in assuming if you don't provide this it builds GENERIC.

Yes this is the case.  Bear in mind though that it's now KERNCONF,
although it may be that KERNEL is still supported.  Look in
/usr/src/UPDATING.  It changed sometime between 4.2 and 4.3.
=20
> Should the second make installkernel actually be the make installworld or=
 do I
> really have to build the kernel twice?

No.

Build world:

# cd /usr/src && make buildworld

Build kernel:

# cd /usr/src && make buildkernel [KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL]

Install the kernel:

# cd /usr/src && make installkernel [KERNCONF=3DMYKERNEL]

Reboot the machine.

# reboot

Install the world.

# cd /usr/src && make installworld

Run mergemaster, etc.

Also be aware that if you're using ide drives wd has been replaced with
ad in the kernel config file, although the device nodes _are_ backwards
compatible.  In time you'll need to # cd /dev && sh MAKEDEV ad0s1h and
then change /etc/fstab.
=20
> If all goes smoothly then there should be yet another machine to play wit=
h at
> the weekend, assuming the P75 in the Libretto doesn't mean it's still com=
piling
> next Saturday :-)

:)

Joe