Moving from 3.4 to -STABLE?

Josef Karthauser joe at tao.org.uk
Mon May 7 13:13:50 BST 2001

--cHMo6Wbp1wrKhbfi

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 01:06:08PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> Okay, details first;
> Machine in question is a Toshiba Libretto 50CT currently with 3.4 install=
ed
> (from a CD set, which I still have).
>=20
> /usr/src is empty :-( Currently running a generic kernel.
>=20
> No CD drive, 2 PCMCIA slots, working 3Com networking card, PCMCIA floppy =
(not
> sure if it's supported), 56K surftime dial-up internet connection. 3 other
> machines in the house running various incarnations of -STABLE.
>=20
> cvsup not installed :-( Doh!
>=20
> My normal update method is build a custom kernel (or at least a copy of G=
ENERIC
> suitably named), grab the latest sources and do the build world dance.
> However that's usually on machines with some version of 4 installed and w=
ith
> CD drives.
>=20
> What's the best way for me to proceed with this machine? Can I safely ins=
tall
> cvsup (by grabbing the pkg maybe), grab the latest sources, create a cust=
om
> kernel file (but not build it) and then do the build world process? Will =
I hit
> any problems?

The think to remember is the sequence is slightly different for a 3.x ->
4.x transition.

I'd go to 4.1 first, unless you're doing a binary upgrade.

# cvsup releng_4_1_0_release-supfile
# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot
# cd /usr/src
# make installkernel

You _must_ be running on a 4.x kernel _before_ doing the installworld.
There are some non-backward compatible ABI changes between userland and
the kernel.

Joe

--cHMo6Wbp1wrKhbfi

--cHMo6Wbp1wrKhbfi--