gated/routed

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Tue May 1 05:17:16 BST 2001

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 04:46:27PM +0000, Jonathan Fanti wrote:
> Which of these is better to use for accepting RIP updates to the kernel
> routing table?
> I have installed both, but cannot get gated to run (it seems to be the
> more flexable of the two).
>
> And routed work (kind off) but sets up routes to places I didn't ask for!
>
> Any expeirence with either of these? It would be nice to hear some adivce!

I ignored the advice about not using either of these unless you really,
really, have to; until the penny dropped that I what I really needed was
a static route set up in my router pointing through my firewall to my
internal network.  That done, bye-bye routed, bye-bye.

Why do you think that you actually need routed / gated?  What are you
trying to do?

--
Adrian Wontroba