ipchains....

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Wed Mar 28 18:57:41 BST 2001

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 03:33:28PM +0000, Jonathan Fanti wrote:
> At the moment I have a Slackware 7.1 box which acts as a router for my
> home network. But as I am about to install freeBSD on it, I was
> wondering if/how compatible ipchains from linux kernel 2.4.x is with the
> freeBSD equivalent?

It's not, in short.  You'll have to take your ipchains script and
convert it into either ipfw (the native FreeBSD firewall), or ipfilter
(the portable firewall).  It's probably easier to use ipfw, as I /think/
it's closer to the Linux stuff.

If you want to get a good idea of what you're letting yourself in for,
here's the manual page for ipfw describing the command language:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ipfw&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+4.2-RELEASE&format=html

And the home page for ipfilter is at:

	http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ipfilter/

Anyway, ipchains is 2.2, I think in 2.4 you have to use netfilter
instead.  :-)

--
	M-x smite-the-infidel