DNS for a Demon dial-up domain

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Mon Mar 26 17:27:59 BST 2001

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:50:20PM +0100, Richard Smith wrote:
> The simplest solution is to create a primary table for the binky.demon.co.uk
> domain. The side-effect is that you will need to hardwire an A RR for
> binky.demon.co.uk and www.binky.demon.co.uk.

You could delegate www back to ns0.demon.co.uk & friends in the binky.dcu
zonefile, which means you don't have to notice when Demon moves from
HTTP/1.0 to HTTP/1.1 [1] for homepages.

Something like:

www	1D	NS	IN	ns0.demon.co.uk.
www	1D	NS	IN	ns1.demon.co.uk.
www	1D	NS	IN	ns2.demon.net.

would do.

> I don't use this method myself. On my RFC1918 subnets at home and at work,
> I use a unique root domain, so that way no external DNS is masked.

ISTR .localnet being advised somewhere.  But, erm, don't quote me
on that ;-)

[1] or more accuratly: Host headers.  And it's happening soon, apparently.
--
Mike Bristow, seebitwopie