DNS for a Demon dial-up domain

Richard Smith rdls at satamatics.com
Mon Mar 26 14:50:20 BST 2001

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 01:57:59PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> Thanks to Mac OS X's crazy way of handling /etc/hosts files (it doesn't!), I'm
> finally having to look at getting DNS working in the flat.
>
> What I think I need is a DNS server just to provide details for just the
> machines on the local network and to pass on aything else to Demon's
> nameservers. Currently I have all of the machines set-up as
> something.binky.demon.co.uk. The thing I'm not sure about is how I do this
> without screwing up DNS for binky.demon.co.uk.

The simplest solution is to create a primary table for the binky.demon.co.uk
domain. The side-effect is that you will need to hardwire an A RR for
binky.demon.co.uk and www.binky.demon.co.uk. This is only for your internal
machines (including the DNS machine itself).

I don't use this method myself. On my RFC1918 subnets at home and at work,
I use a unique root domain, so that way no external DNS is masked.

One annoyance is that modern versions of named insist on touching base with
the root nameservers, whenever the system boots up. So be prepared for dial-up
events being triggered whenever you switch the PC on.

Hope this helps,

Richard.

--
Richard Smith
Network Systems Director

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp