DNS for a Demon dial-up domain

Jonathan Belson jon at witchspace.com
Mon Mar 26 14:28:15 BST 2001

Hiya

> Thanks to Mac OS X's crazy way of handling /etc/hosts files (it doesn't!),
I'm
> finally having to look at getting DNS working in the flat.

Is it any good then?

> What I think I need is a DNS server just to provide details for just the
> machines on the local network and to pass on aything else to Demon's
> nameservers. Currently I have all of the machines set-up as
> something.binky.demon.co.uk. The thing I'm not sure about is how I do this
> without screwing up DNS for binky.demon.co.uk.
>
> Is what I'm trying to achieve possible or should I be doing something
> different? All and any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds similar to what I've done - I run bind on my gateway machine and
use it as a nameserver internally.  My internal network uses the
unimaginative domain .local.  The resolv.conf file on the server looks like:

search local
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 62.253.162.237

Create a zone for .local in named.conf:

zone "local" {
    type master;
    file "db.local";
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "local-reverse";
};

Create db.local and local-reverse config files with the IP/name
mappings.

I can send you my config files if you want, let me know.

--
C-YA
Jon

<http://www.witchspace.com>