What does /usr/X11R6/bin/uic do and how can I replace it?

David Marsh at home drmarsh at bigfoot.com
Wed Mar 21 02:28:07 GMT 2001

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:21:04 +0000
Jonathan Belson <jon at witchspace.com> wrote
on the subject: Re: What does /usr/X11R6/bin/uic do and how can I replace it?

> It's a part of the QT package, did you update your QT first?

Strangely enough, it doesn't look like I did, actually. I naively assumed that the kde2 meta-port would take care of everything for me.

> If you still can't get it to work, go to eg. ftp.us.kde.org and
> download the KDE packabes for FreeBSD.

Mmm.. I'd rather avoid huge downloads if I can! I already have the kde2 sources, I'd rather not have to fetch the packages as well!
(Anything over 2MB counts as 'huge' in my (or my humble modem's) book)

I did try to install the qt22 port (version 2.2.4) a few times, but each time the compilation kept crashing out in a different place (I guess my hardware is just too cheapo :-( ).

I then tried to install the qt package, which complained that it didn't
have libmng1.0.0. The newest I can see on the FreeBSD website is
libmng0.9.3!

The qt package also demands XFree86 3.3.6[something] (hmm, I'm not actually sure what's what now - I wasn't paying too much attention to the periods and underscores),  I'm running XFree86 3.3.6_7, which I /thought/ was newer than it requested, but it still seemed unhappy.

Anyway, I thought I'd be a smart cookie and install the package with the -f (force) option.

All well and good (seemingly), but when I try to make kde2:

gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11/kdebase2/work/kdebase-2.0.1/kicker/proxy'
Making all in applets
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/x11/kdebase2/work/kdebase-2.0.1/kicker/applets'
Making all in clock
gmake[4]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/x11/kdebase2/work/kdebase-2.0.1/kicker/applets/clock'
/usr/X11R6/bin/uic -o conf.h ./conf.ui
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libmng.so.1" not found
gmake[4]: *** [conf.h] Error 1

Ah well, at least I know that uic does "work" now: but obviously it does need a newer libmng, but seemingly one that doesn't yet exist for FreeBSD?

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do now?  :-(

Thanks,

David.

--
David Marsh,drmarsh at bigfoot.com | http://www.viewport.co.uk/          |
Glasgow, Scotland.              | If urgent, phone: +44 77-121-848-90 |