100Mbit Ethernet recomendations

Paul Richards paul at originative.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 02:31:53 GMT 2001

Tim Borgeaud wrote:

> The 3c905b and EtherExpress are pretty expensive at Dabs, ~49 and 57 pounds.
> Scan do both much cheaper, they also do a SOHO 8 port switch
> which is much cheaper than the intel that Dabs has. Originally I was a bit
> suspicious of the brand but Paul said he liked ths SOHO stuff, what do other
> folks think?

FreeBSD Services does those cards too :-)

3Com 3C905C £40.80
Intel Pro 100+ £42

For unmanaged hubs/switches I like the Netgear kit, it's cheap but it's
never caused me any problems. If you want serious kit then the Cisco
Catalyst range is good.

An 8 port 10/100 Netgear switch is £72.99 from Misco, cheaper than both
the 3Com and Intel kit you mentioned.

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd