100Mbit Ethernet recomendations

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Tue Mar 13 12:28:38 GMT 2001

Tim Borgeaud <Tim.Borgeaud at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> one has a 10mbit NE2000 compatible card, the other has a cheap realtek
> 100mbit card.

Last time I mentioned the Realtek 8139 chipset cards I think the
comment was "cheap rubbish" as they will occasionally hang under
high load.  In which case the Realtek are probably not ideal for
a backup machine.

I bought a Netgear switch some time ago, and I find their SOHO
products to be cheap and cheerful.

> But I'm not so sure about what card to get for the backup machine.
> What is a good well supported, and not too expensive, 100mbit card
> for FreeBSD?

I always prefer the Intel EEPro myself even though they're not the
cheapest.  You get what you pay for.

> I'll probably be ordering from Dabs because they do the case I'm after.

My supplier of choice.

> They have both intel etherexpress and 3c905B cards but the prices appear
> to be a bit higher than usual.

Because they are good cards, the Intel EEPro are generally regarded
as probably the best, certainly for BSD (Although I'm not too fond
of 3com networking equipment myself).

I didn't realise anyone still made the DEC tulip based cards, but
they should be good and well supported too.

-Paul-