Netscape Shared libs !!!!!!

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at plasm.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 19:43:47 GMT 2001

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 08:50:08AM -0000, julian wrote:
> I updated /etc/make.conf, added COMPAT22= yes (sorry, just being lazy
> before).  checked /etc/group o.k. it  matched /usr/src/etc/group.  Rebooted
> in single user mode, removed copies of objects, then did make -j4
> buildworld, 3.5hrs did make installworld.
>
> This morning install world has finished with no errors.  Rebooted to see
> FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE in my start-up????

Ah --- you have to rebuild your kernel to keep it in sync with your
world.  I tend to automatically do it like this:

make KERNCONF=whatever buildworld buildkernel
make KERNCONF=whatever installkernel installworld

which assumes you've got a customized kernel config in the file
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/whatever --- you can just drop the
`KERNCONF=whatever' bits to use the GENERIC kernel if you wish.  But
you can do the buildkernel/installkernel separately from the
buildworld/installword.

> I even deinstalled Netscape ( from ports/www/netscape47-navigator, one of
> many versions I have tried!) and reinstalled and got the same message as
> before ... cannot find shared lib libXt.so.6.0 ... and I have also
> previously installed the aout compat libraries (from the CD, and I also
> built and installed the port just to be sure) and this has had no effect ???

So what do you get as the output from these commands:

% pkg_info -aI | egrep 'aout|netscape'

% ldconfig -aout -r

% grep ldconfig_paths /etc/rc.conf /etc/defaults/rc.conf

and:

% ldd /usr/local/lib/netscape/*.bin

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                          26 The Paddocks
                                                         Savill Way