Netscape Shared libs !!!!!!

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at plasm.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 20:22:42 GMT 2001

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 08:46:12AM -0000, julian wrote:
> I have tried the things you have suggested, but with no success.  I
> already have already installed XFree86-aoutlibs and Compat22 libs, I
> also have linux=yes in the relevant startup file, have not tried
> compat22=yes in make.conf yet but I have just one question about
> this, do I add this line to the make.conf, and then do the make
> buildworld/buildinstall bit?  Do I need to synchronize my tree first
> (if this is a fresh install) using Cvsupit??

Uh --- it's capitalised like so:

COMPAT22=       yes

Yes, that goes into /etc/make.conf, and it only has any effect when
you go through a buildworld/installworld cycle.  All it does is cause
a copy of various libraries from way back in the 2.2.x era of FreeBSD
to be installed.  If you have the sources available, take a look at
/usr/src/lib/compat/compat22 --- it's just uuencoded copies of
libraries and a Makefile that decodes them during the build.

If you're installing the netscape-communicator-4.76 port/package then
the linux compatability stuff isn't necessary.

The 4.x-RELEASE sources are available on the CD's, and you can
certainly install the 2.2 compatability libs from there.

If you're going to do a full buildworld/installworld though, and don't
mind the on-line time you'll require to update your sources, you might
as well get the latest 4.2-STABLE sources using cvsup, and upgrade.  I
find it's best to run cvsup before even trying to do a buildworld, as
it ensures that you do have all the right source files in place.  Mind
you, you'll find that the 2.2 compatability libs are one of the few
parts of the source tree that don't see much change over time.

Install the /usr/ports/net/cvsup-bin port as the quickest way to get
cvsup working.  Then you can probably just do:

cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup.uk.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup.uk.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

(or whatever cvsup server is best for you: see
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/mirrors.html for details.) The cvsupit
port will walk you through doing this.

Check out http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html and
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html and read the
mergemaster(1) man page before you begin.  Read /usr/src/UPDATING once
you've cvsup'd.

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                          26 The Paddocks
                                                         Savill Way