ext2fs drives mounted read only under FBSD4.3

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Tue Jun 26 14:48:17 BST 2001

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 02:35:37PM +0100, Sam Smith wrote:

> Does anyone know of problems with corruption of ext2 filesystems mounted
> read only under FreeBSD 4.3?
>
> We have a nice shiny new HD which needs a load of user data copying off
> ext2 drives, and preferably only a single machine to do it.
>
> I doubt that there will be a corruption problem when mounted read only,
> but since this is /home and we have some users who can be very loud and
> annoying when they want to be.
>
> Regards
> Sam

We had a linux disk mounted ro on a 4.1.1 box for a number of months and
to the best of my knowledge didn't experience any problems, so mu gut
reaction is to say you should be okay.

Best plan is probably to mount the drive, copy the data and unmount the drive
in as short order as possible :-) Minimise the exposure to risk.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited
neil at yacsc.com