Netscape on FreeBSD-4.3

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Wed Jun 20 20:53:40 BST 2001

Andrew Boothman <andrew at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote:

> I'm having some trouble getting any (native, linux or mozilla)
> version of  Netscape to run under FreeBSD-4.3.

I presume you mean 4.3-RELEASE.

> I recently completely nuked my existing FreeBSD installation, and
> installed FreeBSD-4.3 from scratch by FTP. Now when I try to run
> any version of netscape, I get an error saying that the library
> libXt.so.6 could not be found.
>
> But there is a library (or something similar - i'm not on the
> machine right now) in /usr/X11R6/lib

It's not finding the shared library, you have to tell ldconfig
to load shared libs from /usr/X11R6/lib at boot time, add the
following to /etc/rc.conf and reboot:

ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib"

(or run ldconfig manually if you're brave :)

-Paul-