a/s/l?

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.co.uk
Tue Jun 19 01:02:19 BST 2001

--On Tuesday, June 19, 2001 00:40:57 +0100 Roger McCalman
<roger at runcircle.co.uk> wrote:

>> Sure, i'm happy to help out in any way I can... including get over the
>> technical problems... may I just suggest a sql DB dump... an upload via
>> scp then a periodic (maybe crontab) insertion of the dump into the mirror
>> db :)
>
> Recent versions of mysql support replication. So with a bit of
> port forwarding with ssh it could be a real-time mirror.

but we're using Postgresql :-)

> What about using LDAP then people could use it as an address book?

That's a good idea though.

I think you can setup OpenLDAP to use a RDBM as a backend. I don't think
it's recommended if you write changes back via LDAP but I think it works OK
if you're just using LDAP as a read only interface to the data.

OpenLDAP already has replication and it's much more lightweight and easier
to manage for mirror sites so it might be the best way export the data to
mirrors. The only glitch would be that the pages that edit the data would
have to redirect to the master site.

Paul.