a/s/l?

Scott Taggart scott_t at freebsd-uk.eu.org
Mon Jun 18 16:44:24 BST 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Brian Somers wrote:

> I agree - but using bsdworld.net from the start seems to make more
> sense.
>
> Is anybody interested in setting this up ?  Commitments aren't
> necessary at this point, rather a willingness to setup a www strawman
> to allow people to enter their details, maintain per-user passwords
> and maybe to mail everyone a reminder once a month about their
> password.
>
> Later we can make things smarter by auto-deprecating accounts that
> bounce for too long.
>
> Anyone who's interested, please send mail to either Paul Richards
> <paul at freebsd-services.co.uk> or myself <brian at freebsd-services.co.uk>
> and we'll set things up.
>
> > Mark Ovens <marko at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > > ISTR that Lee (Johnstone) took it down around about the time I
> > > put together that file in order to clean it up. IOW, to get rid
> > > of all those who weren't really "members" but had just signed up
> > > to see what it was all about. I think the plan was that we all
> > > had to re-join. Can't recall what happened in the end although,
> > > to be fair to Lee, I think that he is a student and so probably
> > > hasn't got as much time as he would wish to maintain the website.
> > > (Lee: apologies if I've got that wrong).
> >
> > Perhaps we should scrap this old (and by the sounds of things,
> > out-of-date) database and come up with something that provides
> > each member with a little "account" so they can maintain their
> > own details.
> >
> > Then add some more fields for users level of expertise, areas of
> > interest, and if they are willing to be a contact point for helping
> > out new users in their local area, etc.
> >
> > I like Paul's bsdworld.net idea a lot, but that sounds like a
> > much bigger longer term project.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > -Paul-
>
> --
> Brian <brian at freebsd-services.co.uk>              <brian at Awfulhak.org>
>       http://www.freebsd-services.co.uk/      <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !      <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>

I'm more than willing to provide web and sql hosting for this project in
my company for free... but for this project only... I'm not accounting
manager and I can't afford to be giving space away to all users
unfortunately :) as much as I'd like to... But yea, I'm happy to provide
web hosting/sql hosting and basically any other reasonable services on a
fast connection for the project... whether it's needed or not, i don't
know but feel free to come to me if you are looking for somewhere :)

(I run speedhosting.org btw... incase your wondering :))

Scott J Taggart
UKUG FreeBSD Technical Support
scott_t at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
(Feel free to email me!)