a/s/l?

Andrew Boothman andrew at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Sat Jun 16 17:01:25 BST 2001

At 04:44 PM 16/06/01 +0100, you wrote:
>I've got a little project on the back burner to do something like that. I
>even registered a domain name for it, bsdworld.net. My idea was to create a
>big database of BSD resources around the world, like locations of users,
>support companies and so on and if possible get a big map and do xearth
>type stuff so you can see where things are at different zoom levels by
>looking at the map.
>
>If someone's interested in working on that then FreeBSD Services can
>provide the web server resources, as long as you're happy using Postgresql
>as the backend since that's what's on the server, and we can build up a
>site at www.bsdworld.net that can become a focal point for things like this.

That's quite a cool idea actually. xearth already has a file with the
coordinates of some committers on it doen't it? So you'd have a starting
point already.

I'm not really sure how you would go about constructing a system like that,
maybe some PHP? What's Postgresql like? I've used mysql quite a bit and am
used to that, but my knowledge doesn't really extend beyond the basic SQL
statements.

Andrew.