problem with dual boot and network

Scott Taggart scott_t at freebsd-uk.eu.org
Wed Jun 6 17:24:00 BST 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Michael Hallgren wrote:

> Quoting Paul Civati <paul at xciv.org>:
>
> > Spencer Marshall <spencerm at uk.uu.net> wrote:
> >
> > > The machine dual boots to win95 which was a pre FreeBSD install.  It
> > > dual boots into win95 without a problem except, win95 does not
> > configure
> > > the NIC (Toshiba PCI FastEther LAN on Docker).  If I delete the NIC,
> > and
> > > reboot, it finds it, however, on reboot, I get the yellow question
> > mark.
> >
> > Have you tried power cycling between reboots?
> >
> > I have found this problem on my IBM Thinkpad 240, as I recall if I
> > reboot from FreeBSD (3.4 I think) to Win98 (or maybe the other way
> > around) it won't initialise the PCMCIA card.
> >
> > I guess something somewhere gets into a strange state and the card
> > doesn't get initialised properly.
>
> I had the same experience on a Dell laptop (Inspiron) - rebooting from
> Win to FreeBSD.
>

> mh
>

> > -Paul-
> >

> --
> Michael Hallgren, http://m.hallgren.free.fr/, MH2198-RIPE

I'm not sure if it's related or not, but on my home built desktop machine,
I have a D-Link DFE-530TX which when warm boots (ie. restarting without
turning power off) and when booting just from BSD to BSD or any other OS,
it tells me that the MII (miibus) is without a phy and the card is
unusable unless i shutdown... power off and power up again

Scott J Taggart
UKUG FreeBSD Technical Support
scott_t at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
(Feel free to email me!)