HSI trouble

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Wed Jun 6 00:26:07 BST 2001

John Murphy <jfm at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> >What test did you perform to determine this 30-40% loss?
> FreeBSD ping to the 10.48.0.1 router.

I get:

% ping -c 100 -q 10.87.144.1
PING 10.87.144.1 (10.87.144.1): 56 data bytes
--- 10.87.144.1 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 10.311/11.568/13.905/0.769 ms

It's possible that it could be rate limiting ICMP responses.

> Well I wrote a little cron job to append date and ping results to a
> file overnight, but to the router, though it shouldn't have been busy
> between 3am and 6am say.

Whilst doing the above ping, I did find that it timed out on
that hop whilst doing a traceroute, so perhaps some kind of rate
limiting going on there, but I don't think anything that would
affect normal traffic.

> >I don't seem to be experiencing any problems with mine.
> No, this seems to only effect a few people in this area; and not
> even everyone on the same router.

I would test by pinging a host inside and outside the BY network,
will help you track down if/where there is a problem.

-Paul-