using tar with DAT drives

Simon Clayton Simon at RefTech.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 12:55:09 BST 2001

Thanks for that - I think it might have highlighted a different problem.

I put a new tape in the drive and did mt status which tells me

Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x13:X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
---------available modes---------
0:        0x13:X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
1:        0x13:X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
2:        0x13:X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
3:        0x13:X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0

If I'm reading this correctly, it is recognizing our DDS-3 drive
as a standard 2/4Gb DAT drive.  So, if all of the available modes
are standard DAT, how can I set it to be DDS-3?

I have noted Paul's comments about using dump -B to specify the
number of 1KB blocks but I would like to try and understand what
is happening with mt first - any ideas?

Simon