HSI trouble

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Tue Jun 5 10:11:29 BST 2001

John Murphy <jfm at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone direct me to an explanation why one's first hop should
> be to a RFC1918 IP;

Sometimes people use these in networks for PtP (Point to Point)
WAN links on routers, there is some debate as to whether or not
this is a bad thing, it can cause problems with PMTU (Path MTU
discovery) since you won't be able to route across the internet
to these addresses.

> and am I right to deduce that a packet loss of
> 30 to 40% to this IP and no packet loss to the modem means that all
> is well with the FreeBSD server at my end and the fault is upstream?

What test did you perform to determine this 30-40% loss?

> How can I test and log the link performance without contributing to
> its failure?

A simple ping to a host (not a router, since some routers will
de-prioritise and drop some packets destined to them if they are
busy) should give you an indication of loss.

> It's not working! Slower than 'cuts' sometimes!

I don't seem to be experiencing any problems with mine.

-Paul-