[EBUG] Con fee

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 15:32:47 BST 2001

--On Tuesday, July 31, 2001 14:51:59 +0100 George Reid <greid at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Paul Robinson wrote:
>
>> If, however, the line-up is good, and BSDcon comes with added
>> Unix-juicey-goodness, it's a more than reasonable fee, in my opinion. You
>> could take a leaf out of the hacker conf books and charge different fees
>> for students, individuals and corporates. A student discount might go a
>> long way actually, so you might want to consider it (even though I am no
>> longer a student, as my sig will atest).
>
> A student discount *would* go a long way for us BSD-loving impoverished
> student types.

Unfortunately I can't do this at this time. The costings are based on more
or less a break even level. If we get a large number of registrations early
on, or a significant amount of sponsorship then it may be possible to offer
discounted registrations later, but I wouldn't count on that happening.

Of course, if there are any companies out there who are interested in
sponsoring some student places we'd be happy to arrange that.

In reaching the figure that was chosen I had to weigh up the various
different people that might want to attend, and largely I expect that for
this conference it will be BSD enthusiasts paying out of their own pocket,
rather than corporates sending their staff. Therefore I had to try and keep
the fee as low as possible and that's really prevented any chance of having
very low cost discounted places.

I've been toying with the idea of "patronage" though, whereby those that
can afford to will pay over the odds for the conference and that money will
be used to subsidise the costs. If people think it's a workable idea then I
could adjust it so that the patronage fees are put in a bursary fund that's
used to subsidise the cost of the con to certain group, like students.

Paul.