opening an X term to the serial port

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Mon Jul 30 16:03:36 BST 2001

> Hello
>
> I'm sure this must be really obvious but ...
>
> I have a number of headless SUN boxes and I'd like to be able to use my
> FreeBSD notebook for terminal access via the serial port
>
> It it possible to open an xterm session with /dev/cua0 as the target?
>
> Or is there some other way of achieving this?

I'd suggest looking into the ports/comms/conserver port.  It allows
you to configure multiple serial consoles.  Once it's set up, you can
just run something like ``xterm -e console -A mymachine'' to get a
console window.

--
Brian <brian at freebsd-services.com>                <brian at Awfulhak.org>
      http://www.freebsd-services.com/        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>