Wireless Networking

Dan Cuthbert dan at afx.org.uk
Sat Jul 21 19:12:27 BST 2001

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq

Hiya

As for the Security side of things, wireless LANS have put the security
of the web back by 10 years, i mean they are a joke.
it seems that a large amount of companies that i do pen-tests for seem
to have a set of rogue tech support departments that setup these
wireless lans and then dont bother to tell anyone (hell we all know its
cool walking around without any cables)
the problem being that is there is no or little encryption used and also
no ACL's to only allow certain mac's to connect (yeah i know that MAC
address's can be changed and spoofed)
im hoping to have a quick paper type of thing written soon with some
recommendations on securing a wireless setup , so ill post it to the
list if anyone is interested

as for equipment, at the mo im using the cisco aironet base and cards
(mainly coz they work so goddam well with fbsd)

dan

* Andrew Boothman (andrew at cream.org) tapped away like a little monkey:
> Hi Dan!
>=20
> Dan Cuthbert wrote:
>=20
> > Hi
> >=20
> > At Defcon, Peter Shipley managed to find a Wireless LAN in the bay area
> > that was still operating 15 miles away from the base station (okay so
> > that were up on a hill and had one helluvah dish , but...)
> > i spose if you did get a decent sized dish, 3 miles radious should be
> > perfect
>=20
> I was most interested in what can be achieved with the boosting and=20
> antannea available fairly cheaply for consumer use at one end, and more=
=20
> powerful equipment at the other.
>=20
> I could probably pick up a bay-area wireless LAN if we both used enough=
=20
> boosting ;-)
>=20
> > im currently doing some work on the wireless (in)securities and im using
> > a Cisco 340 and 342 card and it picks up base stations about 2 miles
> > away
>=20
> Really? What problems are you having with wireless security? How are you=
=20
> overcoming them? What hardware are you using to achieve a 2 mile range?
>=20
> Also, how important is line-of-sight when it comes to Wireless LAN=20
> technology? Outdoors, can a signal bounce off buildings etc. and still=20
> form a fast link?
>=20
> Sorry for all the questions!
>=20