FreeBSD compatible webcams

Jonathan Perkin jon.perkin at bbc.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 15:27:16 BST 2001

On Fri Jul 20, 2001 at 09:01:47AM +0100, Mark Knight wrote:

> In article <20010719144136.A28457 at en.gorge.org>, freebsd at gorge.org writes
>
> >Hello people,
> >
> >I would like to run a webcam on my FreeBSD 4.2 box.
> >
> >Has anyone got any suggestions of compatible webcams,
> >as google didnt help and the ports collection didnt suggest
> >anything to me?
>
> It seems that Logitech aren't very willing to document their recent
> models (based on a Philips chip?), although I've read reports of some
> success with their older models (maybe their 'Express' model).
>
> Myself, I ended up going to www.axis.com, and getting a network camera
> (AXIS 2100). I believe the cost was 299GBP+vat, so it didn't really seem
> worth wasting too much time on getting a USB style camera to work. I was
> so pleased with it, I've just ordered two more.

I'd second that.  We use axis cams pretty much everywhere to report on
everything from London trafficams to nature badgercams :)

Being able to tell some cluebie in a nature reserve in Bristol to just
plug an RJ-45 cable into an ISDN router instead of working through a
UNIX prompt is a blessing ("Where do I klick?!").

--
 Jonathan Perkin - BBC Internet Services - http://support.bbc.co.uk/
       Email: <jon.perkin at bbc.co.uk> - Phone: +44 01737 839571