IDE RAID / USB ADSL q's

Simon Griffiths simon.g at claycrossbs.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 11:38:27 BST 2001

Hi,

The FreeBSD drivers are currently the most stable (in the world?), IMHO more
so than linux and windows.  But again you reliant on BT's technology so you
will no doubt run into some problems.

PPP works in the usual way, if you want to be notified by email of an
address change you can either use some dynamic dns or write a ppp.linkup
script to mail you your IP everytime the link comes up.  ATM a friends
machine is doing this on a weekly basis.

> I plan to use an IDE RAID based system to provide data redundancy, but am
> concerned about the level of support in the OS. In the event of a
> disk fail,
> is BSD provided with this information from the BIOS? If not, how does the
> software become aware of failed hardware?
>
> Can anyone recommend an IDE RAID motherboard for this machine?

I've no experience of RAID with *BSD so the friendly guys on the list should
be able to help more <g>.

> TIA

No problem

> --
> ./guy.h

As an aside Demon also provide static IP's and SMTP mail but as I dont know
anyone with ADSL which isnt using BTopenworld I couldnt comment as to how
good there ADSL service is.

HTH,

Si.
--
Simon Griffiths
Systems Administrator - Clay Cross Building Society