BSD 6% of computers running the Web

Richard Wendland richard at starburst.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 10:36:57 BST 2001

Those of you who found my (all to hurried) talk at the Oxford meeting
last year about UK Web numbers interesting, may be interested in

	http://www.netcraft.com/survey/index-200106.html

which releases the worldwide OS shares of computers running public
web servers.

*BSD is in fourth place at 6.3% (FreeBSD is the majority of *BSD).  I'd be
interested if folks think this is good or poor.  I actually think this is
a good share for *BSD, not far behind Solaris, and ahead of the combined
other commercial Unixs, despite being well behind Windows & Linux.

Note the methodology issues though, most particularly it only counts
one computer per load-balanced setup, which probably disadvantages the
commercial Unixs more than *BSD & Linux.  And of course web serving is
a very popular *BSD application, commercial Unixs will be more heavily
used elsewhere.

	Richard
Richard Wendland				richard at netcraft.com