Password access for certain pages on web server

David Richards DavidR at eurosoft-uk.com
Fri Jan 26 14:53:25 GMT 2001

Hi
   I am having trouble trying to set up a password protected part of our web
site. I want to password protect /users/davidr/public_html
I have added this to httpd.conf

<directory /users/davidr/public_html/>
AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/http.passwd
AuthGroupFile /usr/local/etc/http.group
AuthType basic
<limit GET POST HEAD>
require webteam
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 194.73.89.1

and trying to work what should go in the .htaccess. Should that be in
/users/davidr/public_html ? At the moment i have AllowOverride none and it
gives me a 500 error. I check the logs and find this
[Fri Jan 26 14:51:30 2001] [alert] [client 194.73.89.1]
/users/davidr/public_html/.htaccess: AllowOverride not allowed here

I also have a file called http.group with webteam: davidr in it. I have also
added the user with htpasswd.

any ideas would be very helpful

Kindest Regards
David Richards

Eurosoft (UK) Ltd
3 St Stephens Road, Bournemouth
Dorset, BH2 6JL, England
Tel: +44 (0)1202 297315
Fax: +44 (0)1202 558280
Email: davidr at eurosoft-uk.com
Web: www.eurosoft-uk.com

Nobody checks out PCs better than Eurosoft