Dat Drive

Neil Hoggarth njh at kernighan.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 19:00:58 GMT 2001

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, David Richards wrote:

> has any one managed to get a HP 35480A scsi Dat drive to work under freebsd
> and what do i have to add to the kernel ?

I have this drive (aka the "HP SureStore 5000", yes?). All the FreeBSD
installations that I've had on this hardware (various 3-STABLE and
4-STABLE versions) have recognised and attached the drive at boot, without
having to do anything special:

sa0 at isp0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
sa0: <HP HP35480A T503> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device

As Paul Civati has already indicated, you need devices scbus and sa in
your kernel (and the device for your SCSI controller, of course!). But
these things are in the GENERIC kernel and ought to be present in whatever
you are running unless you've made a custom kernel and wielded the knife a
little too enthusiastically ... :-)

Regards,

Neil.