Learning C programming problem

Simon Clayton Simon at RefTech.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 15:04:26 GMT 2001

We are playing around with C in our office and have copied one of the mysql
examples from the O'Reilly book but when we try and compile it with

	gcc -g -o test
test.c -L/usr/local/lib/mysql -I/usr/local/include/mysql -lmysqlclient -lsoc
ket -lnsl

We get

	/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot open -lsocket: No such file or directory

Being completely new to this stuff we read some man pages and found that the
file should be called libsocket.a but can't locate it anywhere on our
server.  Being as the server was never built with C programming in mind it
is perfectly likely that this file (and libnsl.a) are missing.

So, the question is - where can I install these files from?

Thanks in advance for any help

Simon Clayton
Reference Technology Ltd