FreeBSD CD's ? [OT]

Jim Dixon jdd at vbc.net
Tue Jan 23 21:53:08 GMT 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Paul Civati wrote:

> > >      I suspect that the Post Office (or whatever they are now called)
> > > have a de-minimus limit for duty, below which it isn't worth their time
> > > to collect it.
> >
> > It's probably HM Customs that set the limit.
>
> I recently learnt a little bit about import duty :( after I ordered
> a whole load of Sun memory from the US.
>
> Basically, I think you have to pay import duty (which includes VAT
> at the standard rate, plus the duty rate which is dependent on
> what you're importing) if the value of the item exceeds your
> personal allowance, which I think is ~145UKP.
>
>   <URL:http://www.hmce.gov.uk/bus/regions/dutyrate.htm>
>
> Now, I'm not sure how the personal allowance is calcuated,
> per "import" perhaps?  I'm sure it can't be that simple.

We used to import software from the States.  HM Customs was quite
happy to accept separate declarations for the value of the media
and the license.  The key thing to understand is that no duty has
to be paid on the license.  Duty has only to be paid on the media;
I would estimate the value of a CDROM at 50p.  So if the figure
above is correct, your allowance is 290 CDROMs.  ;-)

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015