FreeBSD CD's ? [OT]

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Tue Jan 23 15:15:08 GMT 2001

Richard Smith <rdls at rdls.net> wrote:

> >      I suspect that the Post Office (or whatever they are now called)
> > have a de-minimus limit for duty, below which it isn't worth their time
> > to collect it.
>
> It's probably HM Customs that set the limit.

I recently learnt a little bit about import duty :( after I ordered
a whole load of Sun memory from the US.

Basically, I think you have to pay import duty (which includes VAT
at the standard rate, plus the duty rate which is dependent on
what you're importing) if the value of the item exceeds your
personal allowance, which I think is ~145UKP.

  <URL:http://www.hmce.gov.uk/bus/regions/dutyrate.htm>

Now, I'm not sure how the personal allowance is calcuated,
per "import" perhaps?  I'm sure it can't be that simple.

-Paul-