CDburners

Mark Berry mark at supportingit.co.uk
Sun Jan 21 18:37:01 GMT 2001

>From: David Marsh <dm at viewport.co.uk>
>To: Jon Schneider <jms at geriatrix.circlesquared.com>
>Subject: Re: CDburners
>I noticed from the box of the Traxdata drive in Comet, that the required
>system specs are: 300MHz processor and UDMA support.
>
>My system is a humble Pentium-MMX 233MHz, with a correspondingly old mobo
>that only supports UDMA/33. I've "only" got 64MB RAM although I do have a
>reasonable amount of spare disk space (I could clear out over 650MB fairly
>easily ;-).
>
>In short, will my system have enough ooomph to perform CD (re)writing
>operations? I'm aware of the coaster-producing effects that can occur if a
>CD writer isn't being fed data fast enough.. :-(

I think they quote system specs to minimize returns from people who have
older systems which have problems with the supplied software.
I just recently set up an 8 speed IDE writer on an old AST Pentium 120 with
32mb RAM. Well below the Sony quoted min spec. The writer works fine under
windoze 98, which is what they run. (Hey, its not my system, ok :-)

I think a lot of new burners are "Burn Proof", or something. They do not
have the problems of buffer underruns due to some new doodads, and can
resume. The main cause of failure with these drives is cheap cd's.

Check the sustained transfer rates from your hd, this will give you an idea
of how fast your system will be able to chuck data at the writer. Remember
you are not running windoze. It is worth noting that I have not used a
writer under BSD at this point, so take what I say with a small pinch of
salt. I do have an 8 speed on a P75 Compaq under Mandrake Linux. My first
was a 2 speed Yamaha SCSI under win3.11 on a 486 with 8mb ram. The writer
cost over 600ukp and the SCSI card another 100ukp. Take me back it does.
Only certain brands of 12.50ukp cds worked, and half of them ended up as
coasters or in the microwave for a couple of seconds (do not try this at
home kids).

Personally I prefer SCSI writers, Yamaha in particular. Use discs that are
rated for the speed you are writing, and try to avoid really cheap and
nasty cdr's.

Good luck anyway.

Cheers, Mark.

   --

This email, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and/or

Internet communications are not secure unless protected using strong
cryptography. This email has been prepared using information believed by
the author to be reliable and accurate, but Supporting I.T. makes no
warranty as to accuracy or completeness. In particular Supporting I.T. does
not accept responsibility for changes made to this email after it was sent.

Any opinions expressed in this document and/or attachments are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Supporting I.T. or
its affiliates.