Wireless NIC supplier?

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 15:19:27 GMT 2001

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Paul Richards wrote:

>Paul Richards wrote:
>
>Silver =A3112.80
>Gold   =A3126

I have just received a couple of Cisco/Aironet cards to try.  I plugged
the PCI card version into a FreeBSD 4.2 desktop machine and used it as a
ad-hoc basestation for a Windows laptop with the PCMCIA version of the
card. It worked pretty much without problem (once I'd remembered to do
sysctl -w net.inet.ip.ipforwarding=3D1 :-)

I set it up with dhcpd which again worked "eactly like it says on the
box".

I bought the cards from Insight http://www.insight.com/uk/ who are
a bit more expensive for Cisco stuff that some people, but I have
an account so it was easy for me.

I paid:

PCI card (AIR-PCI340) =A3193
PCMCIA card (AIR-PCM340) =A3107

These are the 11Mbps version with no WEP - no need, I use ssh.

I've seen them advertised for =A3174 and =A399.33 respectively at
http://www.network-sol.com/categoriesfull.asp?cat=3DCisco+Aironet

If you need it, Cisco has just brought out a new base station
AIR-BSE342 but I haven't seen it for sale yet.  It should retail
for less than =A3300.

Their existing base station product AIR-AP340E2C is quite expensive
at =A3615.

FreeBSD and a PCI card makes a fine base station anyway, and you
can run squid/apache/whatever on it too!

Aled