creating a bootable cd

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Wed Jan 17 20:16:24 GMT 2001

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 03:21:48PM -0000, Dan Cuthbert wrote:
> I have the Juniper switch install program on a LS120, now its based upon the
> 4.2 kernel
> What i would like to do is somehow transfer the contents of the LS120 which
> is bootable onto a cd so that i can use it on 1u servers that dont have
> ls120's in them
>
> Does anyone know what files are needed to make the cd bootable for freebsd?

First, you'll need a boot floppy.  Making one of those is not something
I want to go into in detail right now, I'm afraid.  It's not always
trivial.  You might want to look at picobsd for inspiration.

Once you've done that, you'll want the mkisofs port.  There should be an
option in there to create a .iso file with an "El Torrito" boot image.
The image is the boot floppy, copied into a file with dd.

When you have your .iso file, you can write it to CD using the cdrecord
port if it's a SCSI cd burner, or the native burncd(8) command if it's
an ATAPI cd burner.

Not trivial, but doable.

-Dom