2 gig limit nightmare

Warren van der Woude warren.v at switzerland.com
Mon Jan 15 17:32:30 GMT 2001

Hi

I've recently purchased an AMD system (Duron 800 A7V mb)
and I am having serious problems installing freeBSD.

Basically fdisk can only recognise the first 2016 Meg of
the drive. Now I've tried everything (here is the list:)
- using "G" in fdisk to change the drive geometry
   (this did not reveal any more than 2 gig
- changing BIOS settings to LBA hard drive type (says 8
   gig , but BSD still only sees 2 gig)
- changing BIOS to "manual" for full drive geometry
- changing BIOS to 1023 Cylinders
- partitioning a freeBSD partition with Linux installer
   fdisk - result - BSD can still only see 2000 Meg of the
   partition
- flashing the BIOS to latest version (9/1/2001)

Now the strange thing is that Windows 98 Fdisk can see
the full size of the disk

The drive is an IBM deskstar 30gig (75GXP)

Please HELP!

Thanks

Warren

Signup for your free Virtual Countries E-mail address at http://www.switzerland.com