Dns

David Richards DavidR at eurosoft-uk.com
Mon Jan 15 14:12:19 GMT 2001

that would be the person at bb-online.net who set them as ip.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Civati [mailto:paul at xciv.org]
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 2:06 PM
To: freebsd-users at uk.freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Dns

David Richards <DavidR at eurosoft-uk.com> wrote:

>     I have recently registered a domain for me, skyforge.net Now that i
have
> the dns servers pointing to where i have it held. How do i get it to
resolve
> ? Currently if i use another dns server to look it up, it cant find it.
any
> ideas on how to get it to resovle etc..?

The nameserver delegation is defined by the registrar, currently this
is set to the following IP addresses:

% whois -h whois.networksolutions.com skyforge.net
[...]
Nameservers:
 194.73.89.1 194.73.89.1

DNS should be delegated to nameservers by *name* not IP.

% host -t ns skyforge.net
skyforge.net            NS      194.73.89.1
 !!! skyforge.net NS host 194.73.89.1 has illegal name

The above should be:

skyforge.net            NS      your.primary.ns.host.
skyforge.net            NS      your.secondary.ns.host.

You should have at least 2 nameservers, located on different
sites/networks.

-Paul-