Dns

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Mon Jan 15 14:05:37 GMT 2001

David Richards <DavidR at eurosoft-uk.com> wrote:

>     I have recently registered a domain for me, skyforge.net Now that i have
> the dns servers pointing to where i have it held. How do i get it to resolve
> ? Currently if i use another dns server to look it up, it cant find it. any
> ideas on how to get it to resovle etc..?

The nameserver delegation is defined by the registrar, currently this
is set to the following IP addresses:

% whois -h whois.networksolutions.com skyforge.net
[...]
Nameservers:
 194.73.89.1 194.73.89.1

DNS should be delegated to nameservers by *name* not IP.

% host -t ns skyforge.net
skyforge.net            NS      194.73.89.1
 !!! skyforge.net NS host 194.73.89.1 has illegal name

The above should be:

skyforge.net            NS      your.primary.ns.host.
skyforge.net            NS      your.secondary.ns.host.

You should have at least 2 nameservers, located on different
sites/networks.

-Paul-