Removing boot0

Martin Hopkins martin.hopkins at insignia.com
Mon Jan 15 12:42:10 GMT 2001

    Ben> allo,
    Ben>  anyone know a cunning way of removing the boot0 boot loader from a disk?

    Ben> i cant use fdisk /mbr as it's a SCSI disk and isnt seen.

    Ben> i can use /stand/sysinstall as it's now got linux on it (dont ask).

    Ben> i tried booting off the CD, using configure menu, fdisk, selecting standard
    Ben> boot loader and nowt really happened?

    Ben> any ideas?

You might be able to run boot0cfg from a fix-it shell.  I think on an
installed system /boot/mbr is a standard MBR so you'd use something
like

		boot0cfg -B -b /boot/mbr

I can't try this right now and it may nuke your machine.  If you've
got an installation take a look at the manpage for boot0cfg(8) (or
try fdisk(8)).

Hope this helps...

Martin

Martin Hopkins                      | martin.hopkins at insignia.com
Insignia Solutions Plc,             | martin at uk.freebsd.org
The Mercury Centre, Wycombe Lane    | Tel: (+44) 1628 539537
Wooburn Green, Bucks, HP10 0HH, UK. | Fax: (+44) 1628 539501